Work With Us
Current Job Openings
Associate, Government Affairs. Washington, DC. Full-time.
IAVA’s Associate, Government Affairs will primarily be responsible for becoming an expert in a variety of assigned veterans issues. Working closely with colleagues in the Government Affairs Division, the Associate, Government Affairs will track and report on federal and state legislation, legal matters, and government policies pertaining to the veterans’ community and IAVA’s policy goals. The Associate, Government Affairs will support the organization’s efforts to increase public support of IAVA priorities through support to our traditional and social media initiatives.
The Associate, Government Affairs will be expected to support, as needed, all government relations activities, including with Congress, the Administration, and state/local, as needed. They will also be expected to research and learn to draft hearing testimony, with the goal of being on track to personally deliver Congressional testimony.
Experience (at least one of the following):
- Two years of experience in advocacy, on Capitol Hill, or with/within the federal government, or in a related field.
- Two years of experience in State or Municipal government dealing with veterans’ affairs or related issues.
- Two years of experience working within the Federal Government working on veteran related programs or agencies.
- Experience working on National or State campaigns.
- Experience writing memorandum and briefing materials for principles.
Skills and Traits (all of the following):
- Passion for improving the lives of veterans, servicemembers and their families.
- Fundamental knowledge of the legislative process and ability to provide related analysis – and the willingness/desire to learn.
- Excellent ability to communicate quickly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
- Public speaking and ability/willingness to appear before media; comfort with a very public-facing job.
- Must be able to speak with authenticity in public appearances.
- Excellent organization and leadership skills.
Comfort working on multiple tasks under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Flexibility, dedication to IAVA’s mission, a robust sense of humor, and humility.
- A dedication to quality and execution – perfectionists welcome.
- Ability to work well as part of a team or independently with minimal oversight.
Join the IAVA Team