On May 31, 1909, the precursor of the NAACP convened for the first time, and in 1971 Memorial Day occurred on the last Monday in May for the first time. Some highlights from yesterday on our Defend the GI Bill campaign:
- Coordinated BIG Texas push in San Antonio with member meetings at the offices of Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX), Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX), and Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-TX-20).
- Met with the Capitol Hill offices of Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) and Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-TX-20).
- IAVA Founder and CEO Paul Rieckhoff spoke to MSNBC’s Andrew Mitchell about the need for politicians to step up and #DefendTheGIBill, saying “we need support not just on Memorial Day, but every day” and “what we ultimately want to see is substance not just symbolism from presidential candidates.”
- Former Senator Begich and IAVA CEO Paul Rieckhoff co-authored an opinion piece in in The Hill calling on Congress to “Keep the promise: Don’t cut veteran education benefits.”
- 160 grassroots IAVA member messages sent out to Capitol Hill offices yesterday.
- Defend the GI Bill campaign grassroots IAVA member message total stands at 30,641.
The summer heat is finally here, and we’re going to continue to heat things up on Capitol Hill with our Defend the GI Bill campaign! Check back for new updates.