IAVA | July 8, 2016
Read: Weekly Defend the GI Bill Update – July 8
Following a festive Fourth of July weekend, we’re wrapping up a successful #DefendTheGIBill week with two new supporters: Senator Kristen Gillibrand (D-NY) and Rep. Ruben Hinojosa (D-TX-15). The Post-9/11 GI Bill cuts – within the so-called “Veterans First Act” -are still a serious threat, but we can breathe just a little easier knowing that we have another champion in the Senate.
But we aren’t resting yet. There are five days of votes next week before the Senate goes on their summer recess. During those five days they can vote on the Veterans First Act and cut the Post-9/11 GI Bill.
Our strategic imperatives remain:
1. Pressure the Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee (SVAC) to find another way to pay for the Veterans First Act.
2. Line up Senators to oppose the bill so it cannot pass with the cuts.
We are not done fighting. We will not let off the gas until we can celebrate a win next Friday. This week in #DefendTheGIBill:
- Sen. Kristen Gillibrand and Rep. Ruben Hinojosa (D-TX-15) gave us their commitment to support our campaign.
- Conducted meetings with the offices of Sens. Jeff Sessions (R-AL), Barbara Mikulski (D-MD), and Bob Casey, Jr. (D-PA).
- IAVA CEO and Founder, Paul Rieckhoff, conducted calls with 2 U.S. Senators on campaign.
- 372 grassroots member messages sent to Capitol Hill since last Friday.
- Defend the GI Bill campaign grassroots IAVA member message total grew to 31,266.