IAVA’s culture is an important part of our DNA. As a results-oriented organization, we have an edgy, intelligent and innovative personality that makes us unique, and our passion for our mission drives us every day. We embrace a diversity of styles, ideas and people – veteran and civilian alike form our staff, from all walks of life.
IAVA’s team members uphold a high level of professionalism and excellence in our Communication, Analytical Thinking, Drive, Execution and Teamwork. That’s why we sell them our CADET Standards of Impact, and together they drive us to power our mission to improve the lives of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans and their families. Similarly, we expect all prospective candidates to demonstrate the same qualities in their professional and personal experience.
IAVA is headquartered in New York City and has an office in Washington, DC. IAVA offers competitive compensation and a great benefits package, including medical, dental, access to vision and a 403(b) retirement plan, and generous paid time off.
If you are interested in working with IAVA, please review our current career and internship opportunities listed in the links below.
Current Job Openings
- Click here to see IAVA’s internship opportunities.
IAVA is always seeking dedicated civilian and veteran volunteers to support our mission and grow our reach. Opportunities range throughout the year, from involvement in our membership events or campaigns across the country, to providing administrative support or technical expertise in our NYC or DC offices.
Manager, Community Relations
New York, NY
Based in our New York City office, the Manager, Community Relations will support the Communications team by engaging the IAVA community and raising public awareness of IAVA’s mission and the challenges impacting Iraq and Afghanistan veterans and their families. This person will help craft IAVA’s national email communications and manage IAVA’s social media to engage our member veterans and supporters. In addition, this person will play an integral role in executing our press strategy, by coordinating with the press and cultivating a national roster of veteran spokespeople to represent the public face and voice of the organization.
For the position, we seek an exceptional writer, professed news/social media junkie and self-starter who thrives on deadlines, is passionate about pushing IAVA’s message in the media and ultimately wants to help a new generation of veterans share their stories with the American public. For the right candidate, the position offers a tremendous opportunity to learn and advance quickly in the communications field. The Manager, Community Relations will report to the EVP, Communications & Legal Strategy.
- Draft, Schedule and Manage daily content for IAVA’s social media properties including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Community of Veterans, YouTube, etc;
- Manage follower engagement across all social media properties, including message inboxes;
- Draft and distribute national and local email communications to our veteran and civilian supporter lists under the guidance of the EVP, Communications & Legal Strategy;
- Track IAVA’s media hits, reach, and engagement and report back on weekly metrics;
- Manage IAVA’s press-related web pages;
- Execute periodic check-ins on MyIAVA/VVH;
- Generate, edit and/or post content to IAVA.org including: blogs, press hits, success stories, etc;
- Draft press releases, statements and talking points for media under the guidance of the EVP;
- Execute on press intakes, pitching and placement of spokespeople;
- Maintain/file press records by logging press hits and spokespeople appearances on IAVA.org and in Salesforce (Includes securing and editing and publishing video content);
- Manage IAVA brand/press graphics and social media stories for re-use (create, share, use and manage the knowledge and information for the communications team);
- Track the news and breaking alerts concerning veterans, military, policy, etc;
- Produce and disseminate the IAVA Newsletter to all staff and IAVA Members and supporters; post to the IAVA blog every morning;
- Work with IAVA’s Policy department to update respective campaign and partnerships pages;
- Interface with Strategic Engagement and Membership to edit and disseminate emails for upcoming events, campaigns and gives;
- Other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- 2 to 5 years of experience as a communications/social media manager or related field
- Bachelor’s in Communications or a related field
- Or a combination of education and experience
SKILLS AND TRAITS
- A commitment to IAVA’s mission and core values
- Knowledge of the veteran space
- Exceptional writing and communications skills
- Strong proficiency with social media
- Strong attention to detail
- Basic understanding of HTML, web publishing and video editing
- Data management skills a plus
- Ability to meet deadlines and juggle several projects in a fast-paced environment
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer
- Must be able to lift up to 15lbs at times
Start Date: Immediate
Application Deadline: Rolling
Salary and Benefits: Salary is commensurate with experience. IAVA provides comprehensive health and dental coverage, access to vision benefits, a Flexible Spending Account, Transportation Savings Account and a 403(b) retirement plan, in addition to thirty Paid Time Off days per year.
To Apply: Click Here to complete our online application. Include a cover letter that concisely explains how your experience could be applied to IAVA and a writing sample. Applications without a cover letter and writing sample will not be considered. No phone calls, please.
IAVA is an equal opportunity employer; POST 9/11 VETERANS ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
To learn more about IAVA’s history, mission and model, click here.