IAVA Observes Memorial Day 2009
Posted by Michelle McCarthy on May 22
In observance of Memorial Day, IAVA Members from across the country will gather at events this weekend in New York, Chicago and Washington, D.C. to commemorate and honor the more than one million Americans who have died in military service for our country. Join IAVA in support of our nation's troops and veterans this weekend, and leave a note on IAVA's "Wall of Remembrance" telling us what Memorial Day means to you.
THE WALL of REMEMBRANCE
What does Memorial Day mean to you?
Leave a note of remembrance or the name of a loved one on IAVA's virtual Wall of Remembrance. Text "Memorial" to 69866 or click here to sign the wall.
- Rolling Thunder Rally - Washington, D.C.
- Wreath Laying at Tomb of the Unknown Soldier - Washington, D.C.
- Pledge Allegiance at The Wall - Washington, D.C.
- Fleet Week Five Borough Photo Hunt - New York City
- Chicago Cubs vs. LA Dodgers Family Night - Chicago
- May 23rd - IAVA's Chief Legislative Counsel Patrick Campbell will give the keynote address at Rolling Thunder, one of the largest and most important one day motorcycle events in the country. The event will last from 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. at the Reflecting Pool across from the Lincoln Memorial.
- May 24th - IAVA Rolling Thunder Riders will fly IAVA flags behind their motorcycles. Click here to learn more about Rolling Thunder and cheer for them on the rally route.
- May 25th - IAVA Executive Director Paul Rieckhoff and Member Veterans will lay a Wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in a ceremony lead by the President. The event will begin at 11:00 a.m. and is open to the public. Click here for details.
- May 25th - IAVA Member Veteran Brian LaGuardia will also lead the Pledge of Allegiance in a special ceremony at the Vietnam War Memorial. The event will begin at 1:00 p.m. Click here for details.
- May 25th - Commemorating Memorial Day in New York City this year? Visit IAVA's interactive Fleet Week booth at the Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum and register for our first annual NYC Five Borough Photo Hunt. The contest will end at midnight on May 31st. Click here for details.
- May 31st - IAVA Member Veterans and their families will gather for a special "family night" at Chicago's famous Wrigley Field to watch the Cubs face off against the L.A. Dodgers.
DID YOU KNOW?
IAVA has helped thousands of veterans. Here are some of their stories:
On Sunday, March 18th, IAVA Founder and Executive Director Paul Rieckhoff and…
On August 5th, IAVA Member Veterans joined President Obama at the Navy Yard…